George passed away on March 23, 2022, at home in his own bed, in peace and comfort, surrounded by his immediate family. He made the world a better place and he will always be remembered by his family and friends.
A Full Life
His eighty-three years of life encompassed an incredible journey from California farm boy to anti-war activist, from international reporter to independent publisher, and from university professor to art photographer. For a glimpse at the range of his experiences, read a brief overview of George’s life.
A memorial was held on Sunday, May 8, in New York City, featuring eulogies from six people who shared different aspects of George’s life:
- Pattie Cavalletto on George as a child and brother.
- Sean Wilder on George as a college student and friend.
- Alan Howard on George as a co-worker and mensch.
- John Broughton on George as an academic and friend.
- Janelle Lynch on George as a student and photographer.
- Anna Caitlin Ryan Cavallettoon George as a parent.
George devoted much of his final decade to photography. To see a sampling of his work, visit his online portfolio. His final project was the publication of a book of his photographs from the last decade of his life, entitled What You Love.
Share Your Memories
You are invited to share your own memories of George’s life by adding a comment below.